The TS-7390 is a compact full-featured Single Board Computer (SBC) based upon the Cirrus EP9302 200MHz ARM9 CPU, which provides a standard set of on-board peripherals. This product features an on-board FPGA with a dedicated 8MB RAM Framebuffer and a 800x480 video core integrated with a 7-inch Color TFT-LCD panel with TouchScreen Interface, as shown by the TS-TPC-7390 product pictures. The TS-7390 boots Linux2.6 out-of-the-box from on-board NAND flash or an SD Card and the included Debian Linux distribution provides driver and software library support for embedded video/touchscreen applications.
Descriptive Product Features
- Powered by TS-7390 engine
- 7-inch Color LCD w/ Aluminum Frame
- 400cd/m^2 (nits) typical brightness
- 200MHz ARM9 CPU w/ 64MB SDRAM
- 5K LUT FPGA
- 512MB NAND Flash with Debian Linux
- Expansion bus for daughter cards
- 800x480 TFT-LCD core w/ video out
- 8MB Dedicated Framebuffer video core
- 4-wire Resistive Touch-Screen
- DUAL 10/100 ethernet ports
- 2 USB 2.0 (12Mbit/s max)
- 1 SD Card slot (up to 6MB/s DMA)
- 3 RS-232, 2 RS-485, 1 TTL COM ports
- 40-pin header with ADC, SPI, I2C, DIO...
- Industrial Quality Design
- Audio Speaker
- Boots Linux 2.6 in about 1 second
- Unbrickable, boots from SD or NAND
- Runs X Windows GUI applications
- Eclipse IDE out-of-the-box
The TS-TPC-7390 is a low-cost, industrial-grade WVGA touchscreen computer with audio codec, speaker, and silver bezel.
Utilizing a low-power EP9302 ARM9 CPU, it requires no fans or heat-sinks. Reliability is enhanced through entirely solid-state operation
with no moving parts. The rugged aluminum support elegantly frames the 7-inch TFT LCD, making it an ideal solution for mounting on a
wall or cabinet. The computer unit is mounted to the back of the panel, providing access to a wide variety of connectors including
2 10/100BASE-T Ethernet ports, 2 full-speed USB ports, DIO, and serial ports. The unit runs Debian Linux 2.6 and Debian Sarge out of the
box and is suitable for a wide range of HMI-type and simple GUI applications.
The TS-7390 Engine
The TS-7390 single board computer powers the TS-TPC-7390 Touch Panel Computer. The TS-7390 features a multi-purpose
200MHz ARM9 CPU. It allows for development of multi-function embedded applications through its multiple peripheral interfaces,
which include on-board RAM, NAND flash, dual 10/100 Ethernet ports, dual USB 2.0 hosts, serial ports, SD card socket, A/D channels,
digital I/O lines, temperature sensor, real time clock, audio codec and speaker, video framebuffer, touchscreen, and LCD video interfaces.
The 40-pin header provides the following features:
- I2C Bus and SPI Bus
- 4 12-bit ADC
- 6 Latched Outputs
- 7 Buffered Inputs
- 3 Digital Inputs/Outputs
- 1 Console COM Port (requires TS-9445 mini-peripheral for RS-232 levels)
- External Reset, Power, Ground, Frame, and JTAG signals
The default load for the 5K LUT LatticeXP2 FPGA provides additional peripherals, such as SD card socket, extra serial ports, and a
800x480 Color TFT-LCD video core. In addition, the FPGA provides an 8-bit multiplexed expansion bus for inclusion of application-specific
daughter cards, with the connector pins connected straight to the FPGA.
The TS-7390 engine is extremely rugged and reliable. Temperature operation is fanless and range is industrial standard at lower
CPU speeds. The LCD is rated for storage temperature range of -30 to +80 degrees Celsius.
The operating range is -20 to +70 degrees Celsius.
Power input range is flexible from 5V DC to 28V DC. The power supplies for both the LCD and the LCD back-light are controlled via software.
The TS-7390 provides multiple COM ports using both TTL (2 total) and RS-232 levels (4 total). Two optional RS-485 ports are also
available with DMX/RDM support. The EP9302 processor provides two COM ports (TTL Console at the JTAG header and RS-232 at COM1 header).
The remaining COM ports are provided by the FPGA through the proprietary TS-UART core and are 9-bit serial capable.
LCD-Ready Embedded Computers
The TS-7390 is designed specifically as the engine for the TS-TPC-7390. The connectors are not general purpose and will not work
with most LCDs, so we do not generally sell the TS-7390 as a stand alone board. If you have an interest in using the TS-7390 in your project,
please call us for information about pricing or product customization. Also, for customers looking for a custom SBC solution for their LCD+TouchScreen
interfaces of choice, we recommend customization of the TS-7350/TS-7370 LCD-Ready FPGA computers.
Contact Technologic Systems should you need more information about custom LCD FPGA designs or assistance with LCD integration.
The TS-7390 SBC engine boots to Linux 2.6 from an SD Card using the proprietary TS-SDBOOT bootup firmware residing in FPGA ROM memory in about one second, depending on the SD Card speed and brand. The board can also boot from on-board NAND flash using the TS-NANDBOOT firmware in about the same time. The state of jumper 1 (JP1) controls whether the board boot from NAND or SD.
A valid bootable media (SD Card or NAND flash) must contain a Linux Kernel image, a initial ram disk image and a valid Linux root filesystem. The ultra-fast Linux bootup solution was optimized for speed and includes kernel, initrd and filesystem (Busybox) tweaks. Since this board boots to an initrd (initial ram disk) with a read-only mounted filesystem, it is possible to have something other than a shell prompt running after bootup by editing the /linuxrc shell script on the initrd. Additional TS-7390 software features include:
- Boots Linux out-of-the-box in about one second (to shell prompt, depending on SD card used).
- SD card/NAND flash pre-installed with standard Debian Linux distribution.
- Startup Linux mini-root scripts allows flexible root and backup filesystem selection (SD, NAND, NFS, USB flash) as well as software field upgrade support.
- Linux "bootload" program allows booting of Linux kernels and other OS's from within Linux itself.
- Includes FrameBuffer, Video, TouchScreen, Mouse and Keyboard Linux drivers.
- GUI application development through X Windows Systems (Xorg-Xserver).
- Other GUI library packages possible/provided.
Bootloader Un-brickable Design
The TS-7390 bootstrap combines FPGA hardware logic, specific boot-up firmware and Kernel tweaks to ensure fast boot time, security, and high board recoverability:
- Linux-based bootloader boots Linux 2.6 kernel to shell prompt in about one second from SD card or onboard flash. A Linux bootload utility is available to boot any other Kernel or Operation System image from Linux shell prompt.
- Un-brickable design ensures 100% recoverability from SD card in case of onboard flash erasure.
- Full Debian linux can be installed on on-board Flash from a USB flash dongle or SD Card, eliminating the need to use miniaturized niche embedded Linux distributions or blast/boot boards.
- SD card security features can be utilized for boot medium verification or booting of locked SD cards.
Linux 2.6 and Debian Linux
Technologic Systems TS-7390 ARM Single Board Computer (SBC) are compatible with a wide range of Operating Systems (OS's). The Linux choice is highly recommended and our products are totally integrated with the open-source vision. The boards ships with Linux 2.6 Kernel running out-of-the-box. They are the first Technologic Systems EP9302 ARM9 computers which use 2.6 Kernel by default. Linux Kernel includes complete driver support for on-board hardware, enabling quick time to market of end-users applications. Examples and source codes are also available for downloading.
The TS-7390 SBCs are configured to load the Debian Linux OS from either the on-board flash or a SD Card during boot up time. The full featured Debian Linux (version Etch) distribution includes a complete GNU C/C++ embedded development environment installed. In addition, Apache Web Server, FTP, SSH, Telnet and other network services are available with C/PHP for embedded CGI development. Custom Linux GUI applications can be developed using X Windows (Xorg-Xserver included) or QtEmbedded libraries (available for download).
Eclipse IDE for TS-7000 and Windows
The Eclipse IDE configured for embedded development with the TS-7000 ARM9 computers running Debian Linux is provided along with the 2GB development SD Card. Technologic Systems makes use of the Eclipse Europa release and the DSDP+CDT plugins in order to provide an advanced IDE and makes embedded development easier. ARM crosstool chains, cygwin runtime-libraries and a Java Development Kit are installed on the card, therefore Eclipse IDE will run out-of-the-box (no need for installation) on your Windows PC. The Eclipse environment is already configured to allow a quick startup with a TS-7000 embedded development. After start-up, the installed 'helloworld' example shows the user how to use the Eclipse functionalities, including cross-compilation, build-management configurations, binary download to the TS-7000 target, target management via SSH, FTP, telnet or serial console, client-server debugging with Eclipse debug view, etc.
Please contact Technologic Systems for further information regarding Operating System and software support for this product.